10 Submetering Lessons
Legrand North America committed to reduce its energy intensity by 25 percent over 10 years through the Better Buildings Better Plants Challenge (BBBP), and as part of this commitment, Legrand chose to install submeters at many of its facilities.
Legrand has penned a whitepaper outlining 10 different lessons it has learned about submetering.
For example, the company learned that the submeter design and installation process was more involved than it originally thought, and it necessitated the support of its IT staff and electrical engineers. The staff had to consider such factors as ability to monitor total facility power; the placement of submeter sensors; and prioritization of electrical lines with larger magnitudes of power over smaller lines.
The 10 lessons explored in the white paper “A Guide to Submeter Deployment and Greater Energy Management Insights” include:
- The Case for Submetering
- Technical Knowledge Wanted: Electrical Engineering & IT
- Dashboard the Data
- Assemble the Right Team
- Peak Demand Drives Up Costs
- Operate at Optimum Ratios
- Break Down the Complex Facility
- Detect the Basic Anomalies
- Employee Engagement is Key
- Communicate Results
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- BuildingIQ's Meter Processing Flow
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- Combined Heat and Power
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management