14 Firms Use Tenant Leases as Energy Saving Mechanisms
The Institute for Market Transformation (IMT) and the US Department of Energy’s Better Buildings Alliance honored 14 property owners, tenants and brokers who are effectively using the lease as a tool to save energy in commercial buildings.
Those selected met the requirements of the Green Lease Leaders program by incorporating lease clauses that allow for sharing of the costs of energy-saving improvements, ensure tenants build out to green standards, increase transparency by sharing access to energy consumption data and Energy Star scores between tenants and landlords and encourage cooperation on environmental initiatives.
The 2014 Green Lease Leaders are:
- Brandywine Realty Trust
- The Bullitt Foundation
- Empire State Realty Trust
- Jamestown, L.P.
- Kilroy Realty Corporation
- Kimco Realty Corporation
- Liberty Property Trust
- Oxford Properties
- PricewaterhouseCoopers, LLP (PwC)
- Regency Centers
- Government Properties Income Trust
- The Tower Companies
- Unico Properties
The 2014 Green Lease Leaders own or manage 400 million square feet of combined property and have buildings on four different continents. Their green leasing strategies have been applied across nearly every major property type, including offices, retail space, and manufacturing sites. These organizations also comprise a diverse group, with winners ranging from regional owners like Akridge and Unico Properties, to national and international full service firms such as Liberty Property Trust, Kimco Realty Corporation, and Canada’s Oxford Properties Group (the only non-US based company in this year’s selection).
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- Building Energy Benchmarking & Transparency Laws
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management