14 Firms Use Tenant Leases as Energy Saving Mechanisms
The Institute for Market Transformation (IMT) and the US Department of Energy’s Better Buildings Alliance honored 14 property owners, tenants and brokers who are effectively using the lease as a tool to save energy in commercial buildings.
Those selected met the requirements of the Green Lease Leaders program by incorporating lease clauses that allow for sharing of the costs of energy-saving improvements, ensure tenants build out to green standards, increase transparency by sharing access to energy consumption data and Energy Star scores between tenants and landlords and encourage cooperation on environmental initiatives.
The 2014 Green Lease Leaders are:
- Brandywine Realty Trust
- The Bullitt Foundation
- Empire State Realty Trust
- Jamestown, L.P.
- Kilroy Realty Corporation
- Kimco Realty Corporation
- Liberty Property Trust
- Oxford Properties
- PricewaterhouseCoopers, LLP (PwC)
- Regency Centers
- Government Properties Income Trust
- The Tower Companies
- Unico Properties
The 2014 Green Lease Leaders own or manage 400 million square feet of combined property and have buildings on four different continents. Their green leasing strategies have been applied across nearly every major property type, including offices, retail space, and manufacturing sites. These organizations also comprise a diverse group, with winners ranging from regional owners like Akridge and Unico Properties, to national and international full service firms such as Liberty Property Trust, Kimco Realty Corporation, and Canada’s Oxford Properties Group (the only non-US based company in this year’s selection).
- Getting It Right: Evaluating, Deploying EMIS Software
- Integrated Building Optimization
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement