4 Guidelines When Designing for Net-Zero Energy
When designing a net-zero energy building that produces all of its own renewable energy onsite, there are four points to consider, according to an article in Autodesk’s blog Line/Shape/Space.
1. Clearly express the end goal from the beginning and make sure all stakeholders are on-board with the energy-performance target. It should be included in all design documentation and communicated clearly down to subcontractors, according to the article. It’s also important for designers to known precisely how energy will be used in the building.
2. The interior designer should be involved in the early phases of the project because tried-and-true techniques such as orientation for optimal solar access, daylighting strategies, light paint colors and fabrics and layout of work spaces to increase natural ventilation will probably play an important role.
3. HVAC systems in net-zero buildings are usually not traditional, says Line/Shape/Space. Rather than rooftop package units and variable air volume (VAV) systems, net zero energy buildings are likely to employ technologies such as radiant heating, ground source heat pumps, chilled beams and natural ventilation. These buildings also use monitoring and energy management systems to troubleshoot problems and keep the energy target in line.
4. The construction of the building is just the beginning for net-zero energy. It will be essential to get occupants to behave in energy efficient ways, especially related to plug loads, to keep the building operating at maximum energy efficiency.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- Planning for a Sustainable Future