6 NY Energy Storage Groups Receive Funds
The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) and New York Battery and Energy Storage Technology (NY-BEST) groups awarded $1.4 million to six companies working on new technologies in battery and energy storage. The funding will help leverage a total private investment of $2 million.
The funding will help to transition new energy storage technologies with proven technical feasibility to a working prototype. Eligible technologies include energy storage that utilizes electrical or electrochemical processes and include batteries, ultracapacitors, fuel cells and related components that integrate these technologies into complete systems.
This is the third of six rounds of NYSERDA funding to help members of NY-BEST move promising technologies toward commercialization. Recipients were awarded $250,000 unless otherwise noted:
- Custom Electronics will work with Binghamton University to develop a new electric capacitor.
- Cornell University will develop and demonstrate a regenerative fuel cell energy storage system, using a Cornell-designed membrane, to produce hydrogen.
- Widetronix will work with the Cornell Nanoscale Facility to enhance the power density of the Widetronix betavoltaic platform.
- Columbia University seeks to scale-up electrochemical reactor technology developed at the school using a system that converts electricity into energy stored in a liquid fuel.
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy was awarded $122,000 and will work with Finch Paper of Glens Falls and JNC of Rye to develop high-energy density cathode materials for lithium-sulfur batteries.
- Con Edison and the Battery and Energy Storage Testing and Commercialization Center of Rochester will work with Ambri to develop and test a working prototype of Ambri’s Liquid Metal Battery for grid-scale electricity storage applications.
- Verdantix Green Quadrant for EHS Software
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Combined Heat and Power
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide
- Gartner Magic Quadrant
- Solar Request for Proposal (RFP) Guide
- Let's Do The Math for DR