80% of EIA’s Website Users Not In Energy Industry
EIA’s website gets about 50,000 visitors each day, and the majority come from outside the energy industry.
In August 2013 EIA conducted a voluntary survey that received almost 14,000 responses in one week. The largest single customer segment was business and industry, accounting for a little more than 50 percent, as has been the case over many years of conducting EIA customer surveys.
Although EIA does not ask customers for their specific employer or field, some customers offered that information in the open-ended questions. Business roles mentioned in addition to the energy industry include commercial real estate appraisers, global logistics managers, pharmaceutical industry shippers, truckers, certified public accountants, and economics bloggers. Several respondents commented that their business depends on EIA information.
Taken together, non-business users represent almost half of EIA’s website customers—they are researchers and consultants, teachers and students, bankers and financial analysts, government employees at many levels, reporters and writers, and private citizens, among others.
Visitors to EIA’s website came for a variety of reasons. The most common tasks they reported included researching a topic, making a business decision, writing a report or article, educating themselves about energy, and making a forecast about energy.
More demographic results from the survey include:
- 78 percent of respondents live in the United States and 22 percent do not.
- 58 percent of respondents came to EIA’s website weekly, and 9 percent came daily.
- Only 9 percent were first-time users. Of those, 68 percent said they were likely or somewhat likely to come back.
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Enterprise Internet Of Things: What Is It, and How Will It Improve Energy Management?
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- There’s Money in the Trash
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- Practical Insights into the Implementation of GHS Around the Globe
- Beyond Compliance: Applying a Risk Lens to Your EHS Practice
- A Roadmap for Effective Process Safety Management