$800 Million, 470 MW Wind Farm Opens in Kansas
BP Wind Energy and Sempra US Gas & Power announced the Flat Ridge 2 Wind Farm located in Kansas has moved into full commercial operation.
It is the largest, single-build wind farm in the history of the US wind industry, according to the companies.
Located on a 66,000-acre site spanning Harper, Barber, Kingman and Sumner counties, the 470 MW Flat Ridge 2 Wind Farm is owned 50:50 by BP and Sempra US Gas & Power, which have a combined investment in excess of $800 million.
A wholly owned affiliate of BP Wind Energy will be the operator. The wind farm utilizes 294 GE wind turbines each with a rated capacity of 1.6 MW generating enough electricity to power over 140,000 average American homes.
The entire power output from the wind farm has been sold under long-term power purchase agreements to Associated Electric Cooperative, (310 MW), Southwestern Electric Power Company, a unit of American Electric Power (109 MW), and Arkansas Electric Cooperative Corporation (51 MW), a Little Rock-based generation and transmission cooperative. Power generated from the Flat Ridge 2 Wind Farm will be exported to Missouri, Arkansas and Louisiana.
The project created over 500 jobs during the peak of construction and some 30 permanent jobs have been created to monitor and maintain the facility now that it is online.
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Energy Efficiency Ratings: Benchmarks that Drive Excellence in Building Design & Operations
- The Guru’s Guide: Implementing Environmental ERP Systems
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- 6 Steps from Getting the Most From Every Lighting Retrofit
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement