$800 Million, 470 MW Wind Farm Opens in Kansas
BP Wind Energy and Sempra US Gas & Power announced the Flat Ridge 2 Wind Farm located in Kansas has moved into full commercial operation.
It is the largest, single-build wind farm in the history of the US wind industry, according to the companies.
Located on a 66,000-acre site spanning Harper, Barber, Kingman and Sumner counties, the 470 MW Flat Ridge 2 Wind Farm is owned 50:50 by BP and Sempra US Gas & Power, which have a combined investment in excess of $800 million.
A wholly owned affiliate of BP Wind Energy will be the operator. The wind farm utilizes 294 GE wind turbines each with a rated capacity of 1.6 MW generating enough electricity to power over 140,000 average American homes.
The entire power output from the wind farm has been sold under long-term power purchase agreements to Associated Electric Cooperative, (310 MW), Southwestern Electric Power Company, a unit of American Electric Power (109 MW), and Arkansas Electric Cooperative Corporation (51 MW), a Little Rock-based generation and transmission cooperative. Power generated from the Flat Ridge 2 Wind Farm will be exported to Missouri, Arkansas and Louisiana.
The project created over 500 jobs during the peak of construction and some 30 permanent jobs have been created to monitor and maintain the facility now that it is online.
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Expert Q and A: Tips for Automating your Energy Data
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Evaluation Guide: Four Steps to a Successful Lighting Evaluation
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- The Value of Integrating Health, Safety and Environment Processes with Enterprise Asset Management
- ARC Brief: Infrastructure: The Hidden Optimization Opportunity
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing