A UK-Equivalent to Mandatory Energy Benchmarking?
The UK’s Department of Energy & Climate Change (DECC) wants to require commercial businesses with 250 employees or more to identify ways to invest in energy efficiency.
These assessments, as part of the new Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS), could benefit the UK by as much as $2.9 billion, says DECC.
On average, an enterprise taking up recommendations from an energy savings assessment will invest $22,000 per year in energy efficiency measures and benefit from bill savings of $85,000 per year, according to DECC.
There would be no legal requirements to implement the energy saving measures identified, but the assessments could help large businesses and other large organizations to consider the benefits of investing in energy efficiency.
Net social benefits of $2.9 billion could be achieved even if only 6 percent of the potential energy savings identified through assessments in buildings and industrial processes were implemented by participating organizations, says DECC.
A consultation on the plan for compulsory assessments will run until Oct. 3.
In the US, there is a growing trend in large cities to mandate large buildings to benchmark their energy usage via EPA’s Portfolio Manager. But building owners aren’t required to act on the information.
The new UK scheme would complement other Government initiatives aimed at helping business make investments to improve energy efficiency, such as the non-domestic Green Deal, Electricity Demand Reduction, and Enhanced Capital Allowances for energy-saving plant and machinery.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Integrating sustainability into your ERM framework
- Meeting the GHG Challenge: Reporting Solutions
- Mobility From The Plant Floor To The Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy, and Productivity
- BuildingIQ's Meter Processing Flow
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management