ABB Awarded Contract for Europe’s Largest Tidal Energy Project
ABB has been awarded a contract by Atlantis Resources Limited to provide the onshore grid connection for the first phase of the MeyGen tidal stream energy project in Scotland’s Pentland Firth.
ABB will be responsible for the onshore power conversion and grid connection systems that feed the electricity safely into the local distribution grid. The power and automation technology company will provide design, engineering, supply and commissioning of the power conversion, switchgear and transformer solution as well as associated civil engineering and cabling works.
The first 6 megawatt demonstration will see four submerged turbines installed in the strait connecting the Atlantic Ocean to the North Sea between the Orkney Islands and the Scottish mainland. The first power is expected to be delivered by 2016.
The initial phase of the MeyGen development has the potential to generate up to 86 MW of electricity, enough power for around 42,000 homes,potentially catering to the needs of almost 40 percent of households in the Scottish Highlands, according to ABB.
MeyGen intends to deploy up to 398 MW of offshore tidal stream turbines in the Pentland Firth over the next 10 years to supply renewable electricity to the UK.
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement