ABB Microgrid Supplies Power for Shipping Crane
ABB won an order to deliver two PowerStore microgrid units to Kodiak Electric Association (KEA), a rural electric cooperative that generates and distributes electrical power using hydro, wind, battery energy storage, and diesel generation sets to produce power for the Kodiak Island in Alaska.
The ABB PowerStore units will provide voltage and frequency support for a new crane to be installed at Kodiak Island’s port facility. They can also extend the life of the battery systems by up to 6 years and provide renewables integration by helping to manage the intermittencies from a 9 MW wind farm on the island.
According to KEA, the ABB PowerStores allow it to shave the peaks off its cranes’ load.
The ABB PowerStore solution features flywheel technology to store energy. This flywheel can be rapidly charged/discharged at a high duty cycle without experiencing performance degradation, whereas batteries will suffer chemical wear-and-tear during partial or rapid charge/discharge cycles.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- The Future of Operational Risk Management: The Oil & Gas and Chemicals Approach
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Energy Financing Report
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management