Abilene Schools Bank on Energy Savings
A Texas school district has saved over $500,000 in utility costs in the first nine months since it implemented an energy conservation management program, according to the Abilene Reporter-News.The Abilene Independent School District projects it will see savings of $860,000 in the first year.
Timing of building functions – such as air conditioning, heating and lighting – is key to the district’s energy conservation program.
The Abilene school board unanimously voted for the program in October 2011 and signed a four-year contract with Energy Education of Dallas for $400,000 per year.
According to the government’s EnergyStar program, the nation’s 17,450 K-12 school districts spend more than $6 billion annually on energy, with as much as 30 percent of a typical district’s total energy used inefficiently.
In related recent news, Ovid-Elsie Area Schools in central Michigan have signed an energy savings performance contract with Ameresco, and six schools in the Porterville Unified School District in California are having SunPower install 3.7 MW of solar electric systems.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- The Future of Operational Risk Management: The Oil & Gas and Chemicals Approach
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Energy Financing Report
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- 2013-2014 Winter Polar Vortex
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management