Abilene Schools Bank on Energy Savings
A Texas school district has saved over $500,000 in utility costs in the first nine months since it implemented an energy conservation management program, according to the Abilene Reporter-News.The Abilene Independent School District projects it will see savings of $860,000 in the first year.
Timing of building functions – such as air conditioning, heating and lighting – is key to the district’s energy conservation program.
The Abilene school board unanimously voted for the program in October 2011 and signed a four-year contract with Energy Education of Dallas for $400,000 per year.
According to the government’s EnergyStar program, the nation’s 17,450 K-12 school districts spend more than $6 billion annually on energy, with as much as 30 percent of a typical district’s total energy used inefficiently.
In related recent news, Ovid-Elsie Area Schools in central Michigan have signed an energy savings performance contract with Ameresco, and six schools in the Porterville Unified School District in California are having SunPower install 3.7 MW of solar electric systems.
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement