Abilene Schools Bank on Energy Savings
A Texas school district has saved over $500,000 in utility costs in the first nine months since it implemented an energy conservation management program, according to the Abilene Reporter-News.The Abilene Independent School District projects it will see savings of $860,000 in the first year.
Timing of building functions – such as air conditioning, heating and lighting – is key to the district’s energy conservation program.
The Abilene school board unanimously voted for the program in October 2011 and signed a four-year contract with Energy Education of Dallas for $400,000 per year.
According to the government’s EnergyStar program, the nation’s 17,450 K-12 school districts spend more than $6 billion annually on energy, with as much as 30 percent of a typical district’s total energy used inefficiently.
In related recent news, Ovid-Elsie Area Schools in central Michigan have signed an energy savings performance contract with Ameresco, and six schools in the Porterville Unified School District in California are having SunPower install 3.7 MW of solar electric systems.
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Energy Efficiency Ratings: Benchmarks that Drive Excellence in Building Design & Operations
- Meeting the GHG Challenge: Reporting Solutions
- Integrated Building Optimization
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- 6 Steps from Getting the Most From Every Lighting Retrofit
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement