Ace Hardware Deploys Digital Lumens LED System
Ace Hardware upgraded the lighting in areas of its 1-million-sq-foot Rocklin, Calif., retail support center to the Digital Lumens’ Intelligent LED Lighting System, and since implementing the upgrade in October 2013, Ace Hardware saved an average of 81 percent on its lighting-related energy use.
According to Ace Hardware, lighting is its single biggest energy warehousing expense.
By replacing the facility’s 1,653 fixtures (1,551 T5 fluorescent and 102 metal halide), Ace Hardware has reduced its power usage per square foot by 39.56 percent, while improving light quality and illumination levels throughout the facility.
The Digital Lumens deployment was preceded by an eight-month, in-depth research project by Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) to quantify the effect increasing levels of control have on energy efficiency. Conducted by PG&E partner TRC Solutions, the study isolated the variables that contribute to energy efficiency – dimming, occupancy and daylight harvesting – and evaluated them, both individually and collectively, in a real-world scenario at Ace’s Rocklin facility, documenting the energy savings that lighting systems can deliver to industrial facilities.
The PG&E study found that compared to basic LEDs, systems with “aggressive advanced controls,” like the Digital Lumens system, delivered 43% more energy savings, and a reduction of 93% over the previously installed metal halide fixtures.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Building Energy Intelligence
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management