Ace Hardware Deploys Digital Lumens LED System
Ace Hardware upgraded the lighting in areas of its 1-million-sq-foot Rocklin, Calif., retail support center to the Digital Lumens’ Intelligent LED Lighting System, and since implementing the upgrade in October 2013, Ace Hardware saved an average of 81 percent on its lighting-related energy use.
According to Ace Hardware, lighting is its single biggest energy warehousing expense.
By replacing the facility’s 1,653 fixtures (1,551 T5 fluorescent and 102 metal halide), Ace Hardware has reduced its power usage per square foot by 39.56 percent, while improving light quality and illumination levels throughout the facility.
The Digital Lumens deployment was preceded by an eight-month, in-depth research project by Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) to quantify the effect increasing levels of control have on energy efficiency. Conducted by PG&E partner TRC Solutions, the study isolated the variables that contribute to energy efficiency – dimming, occupancy and daylight harvesting – and evaluated them, both individually and collectively, in a real-world scenario at Ace’s Rocklin facility, documenting the energy savings that lighting systems can deliver to industrial facilities.
The PG&E study found that compared to basic LEDs, systems with “aggressive advanced controls,” like the Digital Lumens system, delivered 43% more energy savings, and a reduction of 93% over the previously installed metal halide fixtures.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- The Missing Puzzle Piece: Automated Utility Data Aggregation
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers