‘Adequate’ Electricity Supply for Summer in Northeast
According to the Northeast Power Coordinating Council’s (NPCC’s) 2014 Summer Reliability Assessment, the region will have an adequate supply of electricity this summer. The overall NPCC forecast for electricity demand is about the same as last summer’s forecast, as it continues to be influenced by the economic outlook, ongoing conservation measures, improvements in efficiency and contributions from demand response programs.
The assessment indicates that NPCC will have adequate generation and transmission capability for the summer period, even with the phase-out of the Ontario coal units and the retirement of New England’s Salem Harbor power station.
The region’s transmission infrastructure will be improved with several significant projects expected to be in-service this summer: 1) New England transmission line additions associated with the Maine Power Reliability Program; 2) the Greater Springfield Massachusetts transmission reinforcements; and 3) the restoration of full power transfer capability between Pennsylvania and New York.
For New York City and throughout New York State, an adequate supply of electricity is forecast. This also holds true for Ontario and New England. Finally, the winter peaking Québec and the Canadian Maritime Provinces are expected to meet forecasted electricity demand by a wide margin.
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Integrating sustainability into your ERM framework
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- BuildingIQ Security
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement