Automated Demand Response Comes to San Antonio
What may be the largest automated demand response (ADR) program by a municipal utility is coming to San Antonio as Honeywell and CPS Energy embark on a two-year program after a successful pilot last year.
The utility will use technology and services from Honeywell to connect and collaborate with commercial and industrial customers to adjust electricity consumption during demand peaks. CPS will have additional tools to stabilize the Texas grid on hot summer days when air conditioners are likely to be running at capacity.
Last year’s pilot included nine commercial and industrial facilities, and helped trim demand by about 1.5 MW, or a more than 10 percent reduction in each building on average. Honeywell and CPS Energy want to enroll 60 additional sites, bringing the potential reduction to nearly 6 MW.
If successful, the utility would be able to defer construction of peaking plants that are used only on those occasions when demand is highest.
As part of the program, Honeywell will identify and enroll customers, audit their buildings to identify curtailment opportunities, and work to customize and implement changes that trim energy use, but don’t impact core business functions. In return for joining, customers receive an incentive for each kilowatt they’re able to shed. The hardware and software installed can also help each organization better manage electricity use every day and boost long-term energy efficiency.
Honeywell will also provide its Akuacom Demand Response Automation Server, software as a service (SaaS) that enables CPS Energy to send signals to building automation systems at sites enrolled in the program, triggering the short-term load-shedding measures the customer.
Honeywell also manages a residential demand response for CPS Energy, which started in 2004 and now involves more than 81,000 homeowners.
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- The Guru’s Guide: Implementing Environmental ERP Systems
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Integrated Building Optimization
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement