AES Provides 1,384 MW to SCE
In addition to 100 MW of battery-based energy storage that Southern California Edison (SCE) will procure from AES Corporation, SCE has also awarded 20-year contracts for AES to provide 1,284 MW of combined cycle gas-fired generation.
This new capacity will be built at AES’s existing power plant sites in Huntington Beach and Long Beach, Calif.
These awards come as a result of SCE seeking a variety of new generating resources and creative energy solutions to replace the retired San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station and a number of older natural gas-fired power plants that are expected to retire in the near future to comply with California’s policy on the use of ocean water for cooling.
For the gas-fired capacity, financing agreements are expected to be finalized in 2016, construction is expected to begin in 2017 and commercial operation is scheduled for 2020. For the energy storage capacity, commercial operation is scheduled for 2021.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- There’s Money in the Trash