After 30-Year Hiatus, US Builds 2 New Nuclear Plants
Two new nuclear reactors are going to be built at the Alvin W. Vogtle Electric Generating Plant in Waynesboro, Ga. The Department of Energy issued about $6.5 billion in loan guarantees for the construction of the two new nuclear reactors. The project represents the first new nuclear facilities in the US in nearly three decades.
Secretary of Energy Earnest Moniz said the power facilities are “not only a major milestone in the Administration’s commitment to jumpstart the US nuclear power industry, but also an important part of our all-of-the-above approach to American energy.”
The two new 1,100 MW Westinghouse AP1000 nuclear reactors at the Alvin W. Vogtle Electric Generating Plant will supplement the two existing reactor units at the facility.
Project partners include Georgia Power Company (GPC), Oglethorpe Power Corporation (OPC), the Municipal Electric Authority of Georgia (MEAG) and the City of Dalton, Ga. The Energy Department issued loan guarantees to GPC and OPC for a total of about $6.5 billion. The Department continues to work on the remaining conditional commitment for a $1.8 billion loan guarantee to MEAG. The nuclear facility is eligible for loan guarantees since it is expected to avoid nearly 10 million metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions annually.
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Integrating sustainability into your ERM framework
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- BuildingIQ Security
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement