Aggreko Powers Super Bowl
Aggreko will provide large-scale power generation for the Super Bowl on February 2. The event, taking place in East Rutherford, NJ, at the MetLife Stadium, will require heating and 21 MW of power, taking into consideration potentially frigid weather and additional security needs of the highly populated metropolitan area.
Aggreko will provide 21 megawatts of temporary electric power; 60 heaters, including 740 kW of outdoor heat for the open-air stadium’s press seats; a crew of 12 Aggreko technicians for installation and operation; hundreds of accessories, including panels, transformers and about 80 miles of cable.
An event of this nature also requires detailed design and logistics. The Aggreko team kicked off initial planning meetings almost one year ago following the 2013 game, and installation for this year began right after the New Year. The complete project timeline, including equipment removal, will encompass about two months.
This marks the 24th year Aggreko will be supplying power and climate control solutions to the Super Bowl.
The 2013 Super Bowl in New Orleans was interrupted with a 34-minute power outage, which was eventually determined to have been caused by an electrical relay device that ironically was installed to protect the Superdome equipment in the event of a cable failure between the switchgear and the stadium.
Aggreko says it kept its power running throughout the 2013 game in New Orleans despite the power disruption elsewhere in the stadium. Aggreko was responsible for the CBS media compound as well as the international broadcast and a large part of the halftime show, all of which operated with no reported outages.
In December 2013, Public Service Enterprise Group (PSEG) said it is partnering with the NFL Environmental Program to provide green power for the 2014 Super Bowl. For every megawatt hour of electricity used to power the event, PSEG will purchase and retire one renewable energy credit (REC).
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Johnson & Johnson: Innovating in Business by Making Sustainability Personal
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- ASSA ABLOY: Investing in Sustainability Opens the Door for Business Opportunity
- Under the Lens: Claiming Green