Amazon Signs PPA with Pattern Energy Group
Amazon has signed a 13-year power purchase agreement (PPA) with Pattern Energy Group to support the construction and operation of the 150 MW Amazon Web Services Wind Farm (Fowler Ridge) in Benton County, Indiana.
This is Pattern Energy’s first wind project in Indiana.
Pattern expects to begin construction of the wind farm in April and anticipates reaching commercial operation in late 2015 or early 2016. Upon completion, the project is expected to generate about 500,000 MWh of wind power annually. Amazon Web Services (AWS) will use the energy to power current and future AWS data centers.
Pattern Development currently owns 100 percent of the 150 MW project, and it is anticipated that Pattern Energy will acquire 120 MW of owned interest, with tax equity investors acquiring the balance. The addition of the AWS project increases the number of Pattern Energy’s Right of First Offer (ROFO) projects to eight with a total owned capacity of 830 MW. In December, Pattern Energy acquired the Logan’s Gap Wind project, which had been part of the ROFO list, growing its portfolio to 12 operational wind power projects with a total owned interest of 1,636 MW.
The AWS Wind Farm (Fowler Ridge) project is a step toward Amazon’s goal of using 100 percent renewable energy to power its global AWS infrastructure.
Photo via Shutterstock.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- Combined Heat and Power
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection