AMD to Improve Energy Efficiency of Processors by 25X
AMD announced a goal to deliver a 25-times improvement in the typical energy efficiency of its Accelerated Processing Units (APUs) by 2020, a 70 percent increase over its historical energy-efficiency trend. Between 2008 and 2014, AMD improved the typical energy efficiency of its products more than 10 times.
Worldwide, three billion personal computers use more than one percent of all energy consumed annually, and 30 million computer servers use an additional 1.5 percent of all electricity consumed at an annual cost of $14 billion to $18 billion. Expanded use of the Internet and mobile devices combined with increased interest in cloud-based video and audio content is expected to result in all of those numbers increasing in future years.
AMD said it will achieve its goal through performance gains and rapid reductions in the typical-use power of processors. In addition to the benefits of increased performance, the efficiency gains help to extend battery life, enable development of smaller and less material-intensive devices and limit the overall environmental impact of increased numbers of computing devices. The company will implement heterogeneous-computing and power optimization and intelligent, real-time power management. It has also vowed to make future innovations in power-efficiency.
Industry analyst firm TIRIAS Research recently reviewed AMD’s methodology for measuring its energy efficiency and the plans to achieve a 25x improvement by 2020 and produced a white paper detailing its analysis.
- ASSA ABLOY: Investing in Sustainability Opens the Door for Business Opportunity
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Gartner Magic Quadrant
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- Dawn of the Building Performance Era
- Johnson & Johnson: Innovating in Business by Making Sustainability Personal
- LG Electronics: Enhancing customer Experience through Sustainability