Anaerobic Digester Generates Power for UC Davis
CleanWorld has begun construction on the UC Davis Renewable Energy Anaerobic Digester located at the former UC Davis landfill in Davis, Calif. The facility will generate renewable energy for campus buildings and organic fertilizers and soil amendments for Davis area farms when it begins producing in December.
The UC Davis landfill has been closed to traditional waste disposal and is being used to showcase new land use alternatives for the community’s benefit.
Biogas produced from the anaerobic digester will be combined with gas captured from the landfill, generating 1 MW to power campus buildings per year. The facility will also produce over 4 million gallons of fertilizer and soil amendments – enough to provide natural fertilizers for 145 acres of California’s farmlands daily.
CleanWorld’s technology will divert 20,000 tons per year of food waste from dining halls, dormitories and local restaurants, agricultural waste and green waste out of Davis area landfills. As the material decomposes, the digester will capture methane and other greenhouse gases and produce renewable biogas and electricity.
The UC Davis facility is particularly significant for the University because it represents commercialization of a technology developed and patented by Dr. Ruihong Zhang, a UC Davis researcher and professor.
The UC Davis digester represents CleanWorld’s third commercial facility in 15 months. CleanWorld’s digesters are pre-fabricated and modular-by-design and require no additional water.
- LG Electronics: Enhancing customer Experience through Sustainability
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Gartner Magic Quadrant
- Get Smarter About Your Energy Procurement Data Book
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Under the Lens: Claiming Green
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity