Anaerobic Digester Generates Power for UC Davis
CleanWorld has begun construction on the UC Davis Renewable Energy Anaerobic Digester located at the former UC Davis landfill in Davis, Calif. The facility will generate renewable energy for campus buildings and organic fertilizers and soil amendments for Davis area farms when it begins producing in December.
The UC Davis landfill has been closed to traditional waste disposal and is being used to showcase new land use alternatives for the community’s benefit.
Biogas produced from the anaerobic digester will be combined with gas captured from the landfill, generating 1 MW to power campus buildings per year. The facility will also produce over 4 million gallons of fertilizer and soil amendments – enough to provide natural fertilizers for 145 acres of California’s farmlands daily.
CleanWorld’s technology will divert 20,000 tons per year of food waste from dining halls, dormitories and local restaurants, agricultural waste and green waste out of Davis area landfills. As the material decomposes, the digester will capture methane and other greenhouse gases and produce renewable biogas and electricity.
The UC Davis facility is particularly significant for the University because it represents commercialization of a technology developed and patented by Dr. Ruihong Zhang, a UC Davis researcher and professor.
The UC Davis digester represents CleanWorld’s third commercial facility in 15 months. CleanWorld’s digesters are pre-fabricated and modular-by-design and require no additional water.
- Facilities & Maintenance Management Best Practices
- Environmental Leader Technology Reviews
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Q4 2013 Sustainability Trends - The Logistics, Carbon and Business Data Book
- 2013 Insider Knowledge
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- The Impact of a Changing Workforce on Facilities Management
- Cox Enterprises Cuts Energy Costs Up to 10-15% in Certain Markets
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- Dow Chemical Company Optimizes Facility Management Worldwide
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing
- Control the Balance of Power: The Future of Intelligent Energy Systems