App Measures Energy Use of Communications Networks
Alcatel-Lucent’s research arm, Bell Labs, unveiled an app that forecasts trends in energy consumption and efficiency based on a wide variety of traffic growth scenarios and technology evolution choices. The Global ‘What if’ Analyzer of NeTwork Energy ConsumpTion (G.W.A.T.T.) app shows how much power is consumed at each point in the network, making it possible to identify hot spots where the most energy is consumed, and also providing a way to identify how different technologies can make the network more efficient.
G.W.A.T.T. addresses a variety of questions relevant to the communications industry, including:
- Where is most of the energy consumed in the end-to-end network today?
- How much does it cost to power the network?
- How much energy is consumed by wireless networks? By data centers?
- What is the impact of traffic growth and new applications and services on the energy consumption of current networks?
- How will the network’s energy consumption evolve based on technology evolution over the next four years?
Energy consumption models and scenarios used to build G.W.A.T.T. are based on forecasts and network modeling from Bell Labs, as well as Alcatel-Lucent’s CTO organization and independent consortia including GreenTouch and the Global e-Sustainability Initiative.
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Meeting the GHG Challenge: Reporting Solutions
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- 6 Steps from Getting the Most From Every Lighting Retrofit
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement