Appalachian State Enters Phase II of Energy Efficiency Project
Appalachian State University has signed a $16.3 million comprehensive energy savings performance contract with Pepco Energy Services to install energy savings measures in 28 buildings that encompasses over 1.6 million square feet.
All of the equipment and system improvements will be paid from energy savings over the 13-year contract term.
Energy savings measures include building automation controls, building lighting including new LED lighting equipment, high efficiency chillers and air handlers, geothermal heating and solar thermal water systems, hot water conservation equipment, high efficiency data center infrastructure, Dark Sky compliant campus lighting and steam system improvements.
The university considers the upgrades “Phase II of our ESPC efforts.”
Its first project with Pepco was instrumental in the campus reducing overall energy use by 30 percent. For phase two, the university aims to halve its energy use in its largest lab building that uses 20 percent of total campus energy.
Pepco Energy will also be providing ongoing measurement and verification and maintenance services over the contract term designed to enhance and assure project savings. The project will reduce Appalachian State University’s annual energy usage in the project buildings by 30 percent and its water usage by 24 percent.
Pepco Energy Services began working with Appalachian State in 2008 and was selected for a $5.4 million energy savings project involving 13 campus buildings. With the successful conclusion of that project, Pepco Energy Services was awarded this second Phase II project to help the university secure additional energy savings opportunities.
Photo credit: ionntag’s Flickr photostream
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Case Study: Dassault Falcon Jet Taps Intelligent LED Lighting Solutions
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- How to Thrive in Today's EHS Landscape
- Verdantix Green Quadrant for EHS Software
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide
- Let's Do The Math for DR