Aquarium Develops Energy Roadmap
Chicago’s Shedd Aquarium aims to cut the energy consumption of its 83-year-old historic building in half by 2020, saving 10 million kWh annually.
In addition, the aquarium has set a goal to become a clean-energy-powered cultural institution through a mix of smart energy strategies.
A consortium of partners, which has developed a Master Energy Roadmap for the institution, include West Monroe Partners, the Civic Consulting Alliance, City of Chicago, Chicago Park District, IIT Galvin Center for Electricity Innovation, Illinois Science & Technology Coalition, and the Citizens Utility Board.
Consulting firm West Monroe assessed the aquarium’s current energy use, convened a team of regional leaders to identify energy opportunities, and outlined a vision for transforming Shedd’s energy management. The result was an aquarium-wide mapping system that will pilot new technologies and energy management strategies while also serving Shedd’s primary goals of providing a clean and reliable habitat for its animals, lowering its energy expenditures, achieving a more sustainable supply of power, and creating education opportunities for visitors.
Development of the project roadmap completed the first phase of the long-term initiative. Key findings identified include the use of real-time and consumption-point data intelligence to optimize operational and equipment energy use, as well as tools and technologies that could decrease energy consumption. Other elements of the Master Energy Roadmap include advanced intelligence, energy efficiency, automation and control, energy storage, and on-site renewable generation.
“Shedd’s Master Energy Roadmap is an incredible step toward achieving our 2015 goal of improving citywide energy efficiency by five percent,” said City of Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel.
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- The Guru’s Guide: Implementing Environmental ERP Systems
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement