Arby’s Reduces Energy Intensity 7.6%
Arby’s Restaurant Group announced energy reduction savings as part of its Corporate Social Responsibility strategy.
Arby’s says it achieved a 7.6 percent reduction in energy use intensity as a result of a variety of energy initiatives implemented in 2013 as part of its Efficiency Matters program. Efficiency Matters is a cost-saving energy management platform developed to help improve efficiencies in restaurants and reduce energy consumption and associated environmental and community impacts.
In 2013-2014, Arby’s focused on eight key energy initiatives, including:
- Implemented a new on/off schedule
- Adjusted hot water heater controls
- Installed aerators on hand sinks
- Installed low-flow spray valves in sanitizing sinks
- Converted evaporators of walk-in boxes (WIBs) to electronically commutated motors
- Installed strip curtains in the same WIBs
- Converted outdoor HID lights to LED lights
- Introduced a new asset management system – Powerhouse Dynamic’s SiteSage.
Ecova helped Arby with its Efficiency Matters program by:
- Meeting with cross-functional teams from Arby’s and analyzing their utility bill data to identify barriers and opportunities.
- Implementing a variety of behavior-based changes.
- Creating a culture that drives continual improvement in energy performance.
- Conducting energy and water audits to identify clear low-cost as well as capital-based opportunities for improvement – with a collective payback of less than two years.
Arby’s has set a goal of achieving a 15 percent energy use intensity reduction by 2015 in company-owned restaurants (based on a 2011 baseline).
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Getting It Right: Evaluating, Deploying EMIS Software
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Energy Efficiency Ratings: Benchmarks that Drive Excellence in Building Design & Operations
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 6 Steps from Getting the Most From Every Lighting Retrofit
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement