Army National Guard Hires Ameresco
The Army National Guard has hired Ameresco to improve the energy efficiency of the Army National Guard headquarters in Arlington, Va.
The project uses Ameresco’s master Energy Savings Performance Contract (ESPC) with the Department of Energy and is expected to reduce the headquarters’ energy consumption by over 20 percent through IT system efficiencies and upgrades to the headquarters’ lighting and cooling systems.
ESPCs may be used for any federally owned facility. The contractor incurs the cost of implementing energy conservation measures and is paid from the energy, water and operations savings resulting from these measures.
As part of the ESPC, Ameresco will install five major energy conservation measures across 500,000 square feet of office space to reduce total site energy consumption by 21 percent. The ESPC is expected to yield energy and operations and maintenance savings of more than $738,000 annually. One primary measure to reduce electrical demand addresses IT systems by virtualizing more than 3,000 PC desktop workstations and streamlining print management. This IT improvement will save electricity by using low-power terminals versus personal computers.
Combined with upgrades to the headquarters’ lighting systems, including the installation of more than 7,600 high efficiency lighting fixtures, the ESPC will save 27,771 MBtu annually.
The ESPC also will improve the buildings’ central cooling system by replacing the existing chiller and restoring the functionality of the existing ice storage tanks, which have been inoperable. These underground ice storage tanks will cool water for the HVAC system during off-peak hours to reduce daytime peak demand, which saves on electricity costs.
Ameresco will begin project construction this month and buildings will continue to be fully operational and occupied during the construction period.
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Building Energy Intelligence
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- Mobility From The Plant Floor To The Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy, and Productivity
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Meeting the GHG Challenge: Reporting Solutions
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management