ASHRAE BEQ Program Qualifies for Florida Rating System
Florida Governor Rick Scott signed House Bill 7147, which qualifies ASHRAE’s Building Energy Quotient (BEQ) as an energy rating option for Florida buildings.
The provisions in the bill amend a 2013 Florida law specifying requirements for energy ratings for all residential, commercial and state-owned buildings.
ASHRAE commended the state of Florida, saying that the first step in identifying and implementing measures that will economically and responsibly reduce energy use and costs is understanding a building’s energy use characteristics.
In recent months, ASHRAE worked on an amendment to better define what constitutes an approved building energy efficiency rating system. Under the change, the bEQ program qualifies as an approved system. The bill becomes effective July 1, 2014.
The bEQ is a building energy rating and labeling program that offers two labels: an “As Designed” label that rates the building design’s potential energy use under standardized conditions—independent of the building’s occupancy and usage—and an “In Operation” label that rates the building’s actual measured metered energy use as influenced by the building’s occupancy, operation and usage.
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Integrating sustainability into your ERM framework
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Integrated Building Optimization
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement