ASHRAE Joins Effort to Define ‘Energy Manager’
ASHRAE has accepted an invitation from the US Department of Energy (DOE) to join an effort to improve building performance through a qualified workforce. The goal is to advance the skill sets of engineers and other professionals involved in building design, operation and commissioning.
Earlier this week, Energy Manager Today reported that the National Institute of Building Sciences (NIBS) is leading an effort to define “energy manager,” among other professional titles. ASHRAE and other credentialing and professional development organizations will work to establish a set of voluntary national guidelines – The Better Buildings Workforce Guidelines – to improve the quality and consistency of commercial building workforce credentials.
Initially, the Guidelines will address commercial building workforce training and certification programs for five key energy-related jobs: energy auditor, commissioning professional, building/operations professional, facility manager and energy manager.
Three of ASHRAE’s certification programs are part of this initial development:
- Commissioning Process Management Professional
- Building Energy Assessment Professional
- Operations & Performance Management Professional
Once implemented, industry certification programs must then receive accreditation from the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) in order to be recognized by DOE as meeting voluntary guidelines for the Better Buildings Workforce. ASHRAE has already begun the process of seeking ANSI accreditation in anticipation of this requirement.
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- How to Thrive in Today's EHS Landscape
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- Just the Facts: 8 Popular Misconceptions about LEDs & Controls
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Gartner Magic Quadrant
- Combined Heat and Power
- Get Smarter About Your Energy Procurement Data Book