Adding Verification Requirements to Energy Standard
ASHRAE/IES are proposing 14 addenda to ANSI/ASHRAE/IES Standard 90.1-2013, Energy Standard for Buildings Except Low-Rise Residential Buildings. The changes are intended to improve building envelope performance and reduce errors associated with envelope air leakage in equipment sizing calculations.
Addendum l clarifies several inspection and performance verification items and includes new language addressing building envelope inspection and verification requirements as they relate to controlling air leakage.
Other addenda include the following:
- e relaxes the existing threshold for lighting control alterations while capturing a lot of energy efficiency by requiring more of the control requirements.
- f clarifies an exception to the automatic daylight responsive controls requirements for daylight areas under skylights.
- j removes an exception to the variable air volume system ventilation optimization when energy recovery ventilation is installed.
- k requires envelope assemblies to comply with Appendix A when complying with the Energy Cost Budget Method in Appendix G.
- m updates the text in Section 10.4.1 on electric motors to provide information about the required efficiency of small electric motors shown in Tables 10.8-4 and 10.8-5.
- n updates the IEER values for air-cooled variable refrigerant flow air conditioners and heat pumps above 65,000 Btu/h.
- o clarifies wording regarding duct seal class to avoid misinterpretation that compliance with the text that is struck out could substitute for the seal class requirement.
- p updates Cooling Technology Institute Standard 201 in Table 6.8.1-7.
- q limits systems that can take advantage of the fan power pressure allowance for fully ducted return and/or exhaust air systems.
- r revises Section G3.1.1 Baseline HVAC System Type and Description to confirm the hierarchy for selecting baseline HVAC systems, clarify what floors to count and specify what building type to use when no one use is predominant.
- s adds Exception 2 to 184.108.40.206 to address single duct variable air volume reheat systems with direct digital control.
- u adds new requirements for transfer air in exhaust systems.
The addenda are open for public comment from Sept. 5–Oct. 5, 2014, at www.ashrae.org/publicreviews.
Also open for public comment from Sept. 5 to Oct. 20, 2014 is addendum bm, which makes the requirements from 90.1-2004 the baseline for modeling when using Appendix G and allows Appendix G to be used as a compliance path.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management
- There’s Money in the Trash