Atlanta Hawks, Bath Rugby Club Purchase RECS
Atlanta’s basketball team, the Atlanta Hawks, signed a contract with Georgia Power to purchase enough green energy to power Philips Arena for the entire 2012-2013 season.
The Hawks purchased 751,544 kWh or 7,516 blocks of green energy, enough to power the arena during all 41 home games this season. The purchase is made possible through Georgia Power’s special events purchase option, which is a component of the company’s Green Energy program.
The partnership will require additional energy from renewable resources to be added to the power grid in amounts equal to what it takes to power Philips Arena during Hawks home games. Georgia Power will use Green-e Certified energy sources to power the arena.
In April 2009, Philips Arena became the first NBA arena to achieve LEED certification for an existing building as specified by the United States Green Building Council.
Across the pond, the Bath Rugby Club announced it will source energy for its Recreation Ground stadium and Farleigh House training facility from UK-based Good Energy, which guarantees that 100 percent of the electricity it provides is sourced in the UK from natural sunlight, wind and water. In the UK, green energy certificates are known as Renewables Obligation Certificates (ROCs).
Good Energy also will work with the club to generate more of its own energy at its Farleigh House training center, following the recent installation of a solar array at the site.
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds
- Practical Guide to Transforming Energy Data into Better Buildings
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management
- Operationalizing EHS Management: Bridge the Gap from Strategy to Execution
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- Let's Do The Math for DR