Atlas Box Reduces Energy Consumption by 55%
Atlas Box & Crating Company and Groom Energy are implementing multi-measure energy efficiency retrofits at two Atlas facilities totaling nearly 1 million square feet, in Sutton, Mass.
Collectively, the upgrades will reduce the total energy consumption at these locations by 1.25 million kWh or 55 percent of their total energy consumption.
Atlas engaged Groom Energy to perform building energy assessments looking for energy savings opportunities. Following their recommendations, Groom Energy engineers completed upgrades in compressed air, LED lighting and vending machine energy controls. Atlas and Groom Energy are next planning HVAC related improvements that include adding variable frequency drives to ventilation systems and intelligent controls for packaged rooftop units.
For Atlas’s interior warehouse lighting, Groom Energy installed Digital Lumens intelligent LED lighting, replacing existing fluorescent lighting that had no control system capabilities. The new system enables occupancy-based lighting in both facilities, reducing energy by operating only when necessary and enabling Atlas to track and manage the system through Digital Lumens’ LightRules software.
The project costs have been defrayed by National Grid through its energy efficiency rebates and On-Bill Finance program.
The Environmental Defense Fund is championing on-bill repayment of energy efficiency upgrades as a means to enable more improvements.
- Facilities & Maintenance Management Best Practices
- Environmental Leader Technology Reviews
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- 2013 Insider Knowledge
- Q4 2013 Sustainability Trends - The Logistics, Carbon and Business Data Book
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Managing Enterprise Assets and IT Assets in a Converged World
- Cox Enterprises Cuts Energy Costs Up to 10-15% in Certain Markets
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- The Logistics, Carbon, and Business Data Book: Fall 2012 Sustainability Trends
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing
- Control the Balance of Power: The Future of Intelligent Energy Systems