Atlas Box Reduces Energy Consumption by 55%
Atlas Box & Crating Company and Groom Energy are implementing multi-measure energy efficiency retrofits at two Atlas facilities totaling nearly 1 million square feet, in Sutton, Mass.
Collectively, the upgrades will reduce the total energy consumption at these locations by 1.25 million kWh or 55 percent of their total energy consumption.
Atlas engaged Groom Energy to perform building energy assessments looking for energy savings opportunities. Following their recommendations, Groom Energy engineers completed upgrades in compressed air, LED lighting and vending machine energy controls. Atlas and Groom Energy are next planning HVAC related improvements that include adding variable frequency drives to ventilation systems and intelligent controls for packaged rooftop units.
For Atlas’s interior warehouse lighting, Groom Energy installed Digital Lumens intelligent LED lighting, replacing existing fluorescent lighting that had no control system capabilities. The new system enables occupancy-based lighting in both facilities, reducing energy by operating only when necessary and enabling Atlas to track and manage the system through Digital Lumens’ LightRules software.
The project costs have been defrayed by National Grid through its energy efficiency rebates and On-Bill Finance program.
The Environmental Defense Fund is championing on-bill repayment of energy efficiency upgrades as a means to enable more improvements.
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- Energy Efficiency Ratings: Benchmarks that Drive Excellence in Building Design & Operations
- Integrated Building Optimization
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement