Austin Energy Selects EnerNOC to Expand Demand Response
Austin Energy has engaged EnerNOC to help expand the utility’s Power Saver Load C-op demand response program, with a focus on developing a plan for the implementation of automated demand response (AutoDR) utilizing the OpenADR 2.0 standard. Austin Energy serves a population of almost one million in Austin and surrounding Texas counties.
The utility says there is enormous potential to reduce peak energy use in the commercial sector through demand response, and it wants to have as many as 500 facilities reducing up to 50 MW of peak demand in its Load Co-op program by 2020.
Between 1982 and 2006, Austin Energy offset 700 MW of demand through energy conservation initiatives. The Load Co-op demand response program will help Austin Energy attain its goal to offset an additional 800 MW between 2007 and 2020, and take advantage of emerging technologies such as AutoDR as it makes progress toward this goal.
In August, Austin Energy said it had been conducting an automated demand response pilot for about 60 residential customers. The program was unusual because it also combined electric vehicle (EV) charging stations and different types of thermostats.
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Expert Q and A: Tips for Automating your Energy Data
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Choosing the Right LED Product for Industrial Lighting Applications
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 24 Hour Fitness Trims Waste Costs Through an Effective Waste Recycling Program
- Harness the Value of Big Data to Build Smarter Infrastructures
- An Integrated Approach to Managing Today's Energy and Utility Assets
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing