Austrian Cogeneration Plant Installs GE Gas Engines
Austria’s largest cogeneration plant powered by gas engines was recently commissioned in the city of Kirchdorf an der Krems.
Energie AG, an Austrian utility serving about 1,400 customers, upgraded its district heating facility by replacing the existing steam turbines with three of GE’s latest Jenbacher J624 gas engines. Energie AG’s existing steam turbines had reached the end of their life.
The J624’s small size allowed the utility to minimize the modifications to its building.
GE’s J624 gas engine has an output of 4.4 MW and features two-stage turbocharging, providing electrical efficiency (45.4 percent), thermal efficiency (43.7 percent) and overall efficiency (89.1 percent). The J624 units, which are running on natural gas, offer customized hydraulic integration, which gives the utility the ability to choose its temperature level.
The two-stage turbocharging is the enabling technology to increase the specific output and efficiency of the gas engine.
In April, the Stadtwerke Rosenheim municipal cogeneration plant in the city of Rosenheim, Germany, announced it was increasing its combined heat and power (CHP) generation by installing GE’s largest Jenbacher gas engine, the 9.5 MW J920 FleXtra. The German government is emphasizing greater industrial energy efficiency as part of its “Energiewende” energy transition plan.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Top 10 Steps for a Successful EMIS Project
- Operationalizing EHS Management: Bridge the Gap from Strategy to Execution
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards