AutoGrid Software Does Dynamic Demand Side Management
AutoGrid says its new Demand Response Optimization and Management Systems (DROMS) software can cut the cost of demand response systems by 90 percent while increasing the yield of power from demand response events by 30 percent. DROMS has already been deployed and used in demand response programs for City of Palo Alto Utilities and Sacramento Municipal Utility District. City of Palo Alto Utilities has been using DROMS in a program to help large, industrial customers shed power. The system has allowed the utility to shed an average of 1.2 MW of peak demand, saving 3.5 MWh of electricity, per event.
The core of AutoGrid’s platform is a dynamic, physics-based optimization engine that reflects the complex interrelationships between generation, transmission, distribution and consumption of power in a region, or within a facility. Similar to e-commerce recommendation engines or algorithms for predicting weather, AutoGrid’s Energy Data Platform uses petabytes of structured and unstructured data to create forecasts of future consumption and grid conditions by examining ongoing trends and relationships between millions of variables.
With this data platform, utilities can unearth usage patterns within their customer base or understand the impact of pricing signals, weather patterns and other variables to anticipate grid stress. The system learns continuously and becomes more accurate as more data becomes available.
Based on open protocols such as OpenADR, the industry standard for automated demand response, DROMS is a cloud-based service for implementing and managing a wide range of power management programs such as direct load control, critical peak pricing, peak-time rebates and demand bidding. It does not require additional hardware and is scalable and secure, says the company.
Scientists at the Environmental Energy Technologies Division (EETD) of Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory are also working on automated demand response technology.
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Verdantix Green Quadrant for EHS Software
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Case Study: Dassault Falcon Jet Taps Intelligent LED Lighting Solutions
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Get Smarter About Your Energy Procurement Data Book