Avocado Exporter Installs Demand Management
A global importer, processor and exporter of avocados, Mission Produce, which is based in Oxnard, Calif., is hiring Powerit Solutions to implement its Spara Demand Manager software at a new avocado storage facility in Peru. Spara links industrial facilities to the smart grid, so customers can control energy use.
Mission Produce already participates in smart grid programs, reduces peak electricity demand and implements operational improvements across multiple facilities around the globe.
After standardizing and automating Mission Produce’s control systems in the United States, Canada and Mexico, Peru is the fourth country in which Powerit be supporting Mission Produce. The avocado company has been installing Powerit’s energy demand management technology since 2008. Powerit now helps the produce company manage a load of about 8,300 kW.
Mission Produce says, historically, any time it had problems with refrigeration systems, it would cause a cascade of issues and lessened its ability to get maximum returns on its fruit. In the past, refrigeration issues could cost the company from $25,000 to $100,000.
The Spara Hub system provides advanced analysis, remote management, an enterprise-wide view of energy usage and savings. As a result, Mission Produce can now view up-to-date energy pricing data and real-time connections to smart grid programs.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds