Awards Roundup: SoCalGas, SiNode, Transwestern, Markham
Southern California Gas Co.’s Energy Resource Center, a showcase facility where business customers can learn about energy efficiency and alternative fuel transportation and make informed choices about energy consumption and conservation, has achieved LEED Gold certification by the US Green Building Council for existing building operations and maintenance. In order to meet the LEED Gold certification requirements SoCalGas made upgrades to the building including removing sod and high-water consumption plants and their associated sprinkler system and installed dimmable lights.
SiNode Systems has won first place in the 2013 US Department of Energy National Clean Energy Business Plan Competition. SiNode, a cleantech startup from Northwestern University, is commercializing an anode for lithium-ion batteries that allows the battery to charge more quickly and hold a charge 10 times longer than current technology. SiNode’s anode could greatly enhance battery life for electric vehicles and smartphones, the company says.
The US Department of Energy has recognized Transwestern for its leadership in the first year of the Better Buildings Challenge. Transwestern was recognized on May 30, 2013 at the Better Buildings Alliance Efficiency Forum held in Golden, Colo., for presenting the firm’s implementation model, a key requirement of the Better Buildings Challenge. To date, only seven of the 89 participating partners in the Better Buildings Challenge have submitted an implementation model. Transwestern also received praise for sharing two showcase projects on the Better Buildings Challenge website when only one is required by the program.
The International District Energy Association has presented its 2013 System of the Year Award to Markham District Energy. Markham was selected for its operation of the system in Markham, Ontario, which earned high marks in all ratings categories including energy efficiency, reliability, availability, environmental performance, employee health and safety, community involvement and contributions to the industry. The annual System of the Year Award is the top honor IDEA can bestow on a public or privately owned district energy system.
- 9 Ways to Reduce Energy Costs
- Environmental Leader Technology Reviews
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- 2013 Insider Knowledge
- The Logistics, Carbon, and Business Data Book: Fall 2012 Sustainability Trends
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Managing Enterprise Assets and IT Assets in a Converged World
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- Select the Right Solution for Facilities Management
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing
- Control the Balance of Power: The Future of Intelligent Energy Systems