Barclay Tower Becomes World’s First Intelligent Energy Storage Powered High Rise
Glenwood Management says Manhattan’s first battery-based, intelligent energy storage system providing stored energy capacity to a New York City high rise is now in operation at its flagship property, Barclay Tower, a 58-story luxury residential high rise located at 10 Barclay Street. The energy storage system, designed by Demand Energy Network, provides 225 kilowatts (kW) of power with 2 megawatt hours (MWh) of stored energy capacity.
Energy reliability was the motivation behind Glenwood’s purchase. The 225 kW / 2 MWh installation follows Glenwood’s purchase of two trial-sized systems installed in October 2011 at two locations – Barclay Tower and The Caldwell. Positive results in demand response and building grid stability from both systems led to their decision in April to move toward deploying the larger system at Barclay Tower.
An additional benefit demonstrated in the two trial systems was the capability the Joule System to manage cost volatility in New York’s incentive electricity rate structures (the day ahead market). The system stores energy during off- peak periods when rates are low, and then releases the energy during peak periods when prices can be very high.
The network management and control software of the Joule System recognizes price signals and follows building load profiles. The system intelligently monitors use to maximize energy savings to deliver a positive return.
Glenwood envisions rolling out a fleet of these larger systems to some, or potentially all of its properties over time.
“We’re looking forward to the hard data in terms of energy use and savings,” said Dave Curry, CEO of Demand Energy. “Between ConEd selling power at reduced off-peak prices, and the ability to store renewable electricity, we’re expecting big things that include bringing balance to power grids for the future of energy delivery worldwide.”
Photo credit: Mark Frank and Chloe Carli.
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Evaluation Guide: Four Steps to a Successful Lighting Evaluation
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- Select the Right Solution for Facilities Management
- Complex Manufacturing Assets Require Integrated Management
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing