Barclay Tower Becomes World’s First Intelligent Energy Storage Powered High Rise
Glenwood Management says Manhattan’s first battery-based, intelligent energy storage system providing stored energy capacity to a New York City high rise is now in operation at its flagship property, Barclay Tower, a 58-story luxury residential high rise located at 10 Barclay Street. The energy storage system, designed by Demand Energy Network, provides 225 kilowatts (kW) of power with 2 megawatt hours (MWh) of stored energy capacity.
Energy reliability was the motivation behind Glenwood’s purchase. The installation follows Glenwood’s purchase of two trial-sized systems installed in October 2011 at two locations – Barclay Tower and The Caldwell. Positive results in demand response and building grid stability from both systems led to their decision in April to move toward deploying the larger system at Barclay Tower.
An additional benefit demonstrated in the two trial systems was the capability of the Joule System to manage cost volatility in New York’s incentive electricity rate structures (the day ahead market). The system stores energy during off-peak periods when rates are low, and then releases the energy during peak periods when prices can be very high.
The network management and control software of the Joule System recognizes price signals and follows building load profiles. The system intelligently monitors use to maximize energy savings to deliver a positive return.
Glenwood envisions rolling out a fleet of these larger systems to some, or potentially all of its properties over time.
“We’re looking forward to the hard data in terms of energy use and savings,” said Dave Curry, CEO of Demand Energy. “Between ConEd selling power at reduced off-peak prices, and the ability to store renewable electricity, we’re expecting big things that include bringing balance to power grids for the future of energy delivery worldwide.”
Photo credit: Mark Frank and Chloe Carli.
- LG Electronics: Enhancing customer Experience through Sustainability
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- The Sustainable Edge™
- ASSA ABLOY: Investing in Sustainability Opens the Door for Business Opportunity
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity