Beijing Data Center Installs GE Cogeneration Systems
China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC ) is building a gas engine combined cooling and heating power plant for its new data center in the Beijing district of Changping.
CNPC will install five of GE’s 3.34 MW J620 Jenbacher cogeneration units to meet the industrial data center’s on-site cooling and heating requirements. The 16.7 MW combined cooling and heating power plant will offer a total efficiency of up to 85 percent to minimize the data center’s energy costs. The power plant’s electricity also will support the regional grid.
CNPC is building the data center to support its new Technology Innovation Base in the National Independent Innovation Park in Changping. The innovation base is the company’s center for petroleum engineering technology research and development and mechanical manufacturing.
CNPC is the final energy consumer and Beijing Gas Energy Investment Company is the owner and operator of the cogeneration plant. China’s National Energy Administration Bureau approved the project, which will serve as a model for other data center power projects in China. The project also supports China’s National Energy Administration’s goal to build more distributed energy facilities that increase regional energy security and cleaner air.
GE will deliver the Jenbacher units by the end of April 2013. Commercial start-up is scheduled for the end of 2013.
Findings from Research & Markets’ Cogeneration Equipment – Global Strategic Business Report predicts that by the year 2030, penetration of cogeneration technologies in India and China is expected to reach 25-30 percent driven by incentives and favorable policy initiatives. In particular, China holds enormous potential for cogeneration technology, in view of the country’s expansive industrial base, says Research & Markets. In addition to the industrial sector, there exists enormous potential for combined heat and power (CHP) technology’s usage in businesses that require continuous and reliable power supply, such as hospitals, data centers, industrial operations and universities.
- Act Local, Think Global: To Drive Agrifood Supply Chain Sustainability
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- 6 Steps from Getting the Most From Every Lighting Retrofit
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement