Beijing Data Center Installs GE Cogeneration Systems
China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC ) is building a gas engine combined cooling and heating power plant for its new data center in the Beijing district of Changping.
CNPC will install five of GE’s 3.34 MW J620 Jenbacher cogeneration units to meet the industrial data center’s on-site cooling and heating requirements. The 16.7 MW combined cooling and heating power plant will offer a total efficiency of up to 85 percent to minimize the data center’s energy costs. The power plant’s electricity also will support the regional grid.
CNPC is building the data center to support its new Technology Innovation Base in the National Independent Innovation Park in Changping. The innovation base is the company’s center for petroleum engineering technology research and development and mechanical manufacturing.
CNPC is the final energy consumer and Beijing Gas Energy Investment Company is the owner and operator of the cogeneration plant. China’s National Energy Administration Bureau approved the project, which will serve as a model for other data center power projects in China. The project also supports China’s National Energy Administration’s goal to build more distributed energy facilities that increase regional energy security and cleaner air.
GE will deliver the Jenbacher units by the end of April 2013. Commercial start-up is scheduled for the end of 2013.
Findings from Research & Markets’ Cogeneration Equipment – Global Strategic Business Report predicts that by the year 2030, penetration of cogeneration technologies in India and China is expected to reach 25-30 percent driven by incentives and favorable policy initiatives. In particular, China holds enormous potential for cogeneration technology, in view of the country’s expansive industrial base, says Research & Markets. In addition to the industrial sector, there exists enormous potential for combined heat and power (CHP) technology’s usage in businesses that require continuous and reliable power supply, such as hospitals, data centers, industrial operations and universities.
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Choosing the Right LED Product for Industrial Lighting Applications
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Select the Right Solution for Facilities Management
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- Optimizing Asset and Service Management in the Manufacturing Industry
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing