Component-Level Benchmarking Could Save Commercial Businesses $60B
Pathian, an energy consultancy, has developed Component Level Benchmarking (CLB), which it is billing as the world’s first energy benchmarking system that can factor out the impact of weather variations on energy consumption.
According to the US Department of Energy’s Better Buildings Alliance, more than $200 billion is spent each year to power commercial buildings in the United States. CLB has the potential to help the commercial business sector reduce its energy consumption by up to 30 percent, which could equate to up to $60 billion in energy spending savings annually.
CLB measures the rate of energy consumption of a mechanical system by holding the time variable constant to typically less than one hour. This allows Pathian to overcome the impact of differences in weather conditions over the time period of analysis. By factoring out the impact of weather conditions, CLB can directly calculate and compare energy benchmarks of any peer energy system in the world.
CLB can be used to monitor and predict utility demand requirements in real time for cities, counties and states, allowing utilities to more efficiently manage their national power grids.
An unlimited amount of logical peer groups can be created, which allows Pathian to accurately measure and compare all types of complex mechanical systems, equipment and constituent equipment components, regardless of their location.
CLB can also create mechanical system performance indexes that apply worldwide to all equipment and their components. These indexes allow Pathian to compare the energy efficiency of any mechanical system or component to a known standard of performance so that commercial building owners know exactly where they stand, the precise steps required to improve to a known standard of efficiency, and whether taking action will result in monetary gain.
- Verdantix Green Quadrant for EHS Software
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Solar Request for Proposal (RFP) Guide
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Case Study: Dassault Falcon Jet Taps Intelligent LED Lighting Solutions
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- A Roadmap for Effective Process Safety Management
- Practical Insights into the Implementation of GHS Around the Globe
- Beyond Compliance: Applying a Risk Lens to Your EHS Practice
- How to Thrive in Today's EHS Landscape