Berkeley Lab Leads Off-Grid Lighting Community
Evan Mills, founder of the Lumina Project at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory has created LuminaNET, a social network for the global off-grid lighting community.
Mills started the Lumina Project at Berkeley Lab in 1994 to cultivate technologies and markets for affordable low-carbon alternatives to fuel-based lighting in the developing world, according to a Berkeley Lab blog. In the 20 years since, Lumina’s contributions to the off-grid lighting world include:
-Ground-breaking research including a 2005 article in Science journal that presented the first-ever estimate of global energy expenditures for fuel-based lighting; a study that developed the first quality assurance test protocols for these products.
-Technical assistance to the World Bank Group’s International Finance Corporation (2006) in evaluating the potential for off-grid lighting innovation in the African marketplace, resulting in a multi-million-dollar ongoing Lighting Global initiative.
-Field work including demonstrations of LED lighting to replace kerosene and diesel lighting.
-Development of a novel methodology for greenhouse-gas savings accounting that has been formally adopted by the carbon trading system under the United Nations’ Clean Development Mechanism.
Mills said LuminaNET was conceived as a way to involve more stakeholders with the Lumina Project and to further the technology transfer mission of his project. Mills is also using LuminaNET as a vehicle for pooling primary data on 80 draft country lighting assessments in support of a United Nations Environment Programm modeling effort that quantifies the magnitude of fuel-based off-grid lighting around the world.
- The Guru’s Guide: Implementing Environmental ERP Systems
- Integrated Building Optimization
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement