Better Buildings Challenge Includes Multifamily Housing
The Better Buildings energy efficiency challenge has been expanded to include multifamily housing. The U.S. Department of Energy and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development announced the expansion.
About a quarter of U.S. households live in multifamily housing units and spend about $40 billion on energy costs each year. A 20-percent cut in energy use would save $7 billion. The Better Buildings Challenge is a partnership of the government departments, and private and affordable buildings owners and public housing agencies to cut energy waste.
These leaders also broadly share successful strategies that maximize energy efficiency in multifamily housing, contributing actual energy data to verify the energy savings of implemented energy upgrades. Through the Better Buildings Challenge expansion, 50 multifamily partners, representing roughly 200,000 units and more than 190 million square feet, have committed to cutting their energy use by 20 percent in 10 years.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- BuildingIQ's Meter Processing Flow
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management