Beverage Distributor Installs Solar, White Roof
Big Geyser, a distributor of non-alcoholic beverages in Maspeth, NY, has installed a 408 kW solar system, with funding assistance from the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA).
The project, installed by EmPower Solar, is expected to produce 440,000 kWh per year, enough power to meet the company’s energy needs.
Big Geyser hopes to add electric forklifts and trucks to its fleet that will be recharged with any excess solar energy generated by the new installation, reducing demand for high-cost propane and diesel fuels.
Energy Conservation Group of America helped navigate the maze of solar proposals, tax credits, grants, and incentives and was able to integrate EmPower Solar’s solution with a “cool roof” enhancement – a white roof that reduces heat absorption – as a comprehensive package for Big Geyser.
Big Geyser says as a privately owned company, it can take a longer view and look for investments that will reduce energy costs over a 25 year time frame.
NYSERDA provided financial incentives for Big Geyser through its Competitive Photovoltaic Program and its Solar Electric Incentive Program, both of which are part of the NY-Sun initiative, a program that seeks to significantly increase the amount of solar installations across the state.
Big Geyser is also eligible for additional savings through a federal tax credit and accelerated depreciation.
Five years ago, Big Geyser partnered with Energy Conservation Group of America and NYSERDA on a warehouse lighting project, and the company recognized it could dramatically reduce energy costs with solar power, as well.
Big Geyser distributes brands such as Vitaminwater, Smartwater, Monster, Sparkling Ice, Nesquik and Honest Tea.
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Getting It Right: Evaluating, Deploying EMIS Software
- BuildingIQ Security
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement