Beverage Distributor Installs Solar, White Roof
Big Geyser, a distributor of non-alcoholic beverages in Maspeth, NY, has installed a 408 kW solar system, with funding assistance from the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA).
The project, installed by EmPower Solar, is expected to produce 440,000 kWh per year, enough power to meet the company’s energy needs.
Big Geyser hopes to add electric forklifts and trucks to its fleet that will be recharged with any excess solar energy generated by the new installation, reducing demand for high-cost propane and diesel fuels.
Energy Conservation Group of America helped navigate the maze of solar proposals, tax credits, grants, and incentives and was able to integrate EmPower Solar’s solution with a “cool roof” enhancement – a white roof that reduces heat absorption – as a comprehensive package for Big Geyser.
Big Geyser says as a privately owned company, it can take a longer view and look for investments that will reduce energy costs over a 25 year time frame.
NYSERDA provided financial incentives for Big Geyser through its Competitive Photovoltaic Program and its Solar Electric Incentive Program, both of which are part of the NY-Sun initiative, a program that seeks to significantly increase the amount of solar installations across the state.
Big Geyser is also eligible for additional savings through a federal tax credit and accelerated depreciation.
Five years ago, Big Geyser partnered with Energy Conservation Group of America and NYSERDA on a warehouse lighting project, and the company recognized it could dramatically reduce energy costs with solar power, as well.
Big Geyser distributes brands such as Vitaminwater, Smartwater, Monster, Sparkling Ice, Nesquik and Honest Tea.
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Cox Enterprises Cuts Energy Costs Up to 10-15% in Certain Markets
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- The Guru’s Guide: Implementing Environmental ERP Systems
- Optimizing Asset and Service Management in the Manufacturing Industry
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- The Value of Integrating Health, Safety and Environment Processes with Enterprise Asset Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room