Beverage Distributor Installs Solar, White Roof
Big Geyser, a distributor of non-alcoholic beverages in Maspeth, NY, has installed a 408 kW solar system, with funding assistance from the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA).
The project, installed by EmPower Solar, is expected to produce 440,000 kWh per year, enough power to meet the company’s energy needs.
Big Geyser hopes to add electric forklifts and trucks to its fleet that will be recharged with any excess solar energy generated by the new installation, reducing demand for high-cost propane and diesel fuels.
Energy Conservation Group of America helped navigate the maze of solar proposals, tax credits, grants, and incentives and was able to integrate EmPower Solar’s solution with a “cool roof” enhancement – a white roof that reduces heat absorption – as a comprehensive package for Big Geyser.
Big Geyser says as a privately owned company, it can take a longer view and look for investments that will reduce energy costs over a 25 year time frame.
NYSERDA provided financial incentives for Big Geyser through its Competitive Photovoltaic Program and its Solar Electric Incentive Program, both of which are part of the NY-Sun initiative, a program that seeks to significantly increase the amount of solar installations across the state.
Big Geyser is also eligible for additional savings through a federal tax credit and accelerated depreciation.
Five years ago, Big Geyser partnered with Energy Conservation Group of America and NYSERDA on a warehouse lighting project, and the company recognized it could dramatically reduce energy costs with solar power, as well.
Big Geyser distributes brands such as Vitaminwater, Smartwater, Monster, Sparkling Ice, Nesquik and Honest Tea.
- ASSA ABLOY: Investing in Sustainability Opens the Door for Business Opportunity
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- How to Thrive in Today's EHS Landscape
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide
- Gartner Magic Quadrant