Bioelectrically Enhanced Wastewater Powers Brewery
The Bear Republic Brewery in Cloverdale, Calif., is using a bioelectrically enhanced wastewater-to-energy system from Cambrian Innovation. The EcoVolt system uses electrically active microbes to treat wastewater while simultaneously generating renewable biogas sufficient to generate up to 50 percent of brewery’s electricity needs and greater than 20 percent of the brewery’s heat needs. The technology offers the double benefit of meeting energy needs and preserving water.
The bioelectric technology, developed by Boston-based Cambrian, was funded through the federal Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) national program, which provides $2.5 billion in funds annually to innovative small businesses across the country.
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Case Study: Dassault Falcon Jet Taps Intelligent LED Lighting Solutions
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- A Roadmap for Effective Process Safety Management
- Practical Insights into the Implementation of GHS Around the Globe
- Beyond Compliance: Applying a Risk Lens to Your EHS Practice
- Solar Request for Proposal (RFP) Guide