BMW, Green Charge Networks Among Energy Storage Innovation Finalists
Energy Storage North America selected nine projects across three categories—utility-scale, customer-sited and mobility. The customer-sited category includes a distributed energy storage project developed by Green Charge Networks and Samsung. The so-called GreenStations have been deployed in New York City and California, including one municipal power authority.
The customer-sited category also includes a lithium ion battery project powered by BMW and UCSD that demonstrates the first application of large scale energy storage using repurposed electric vehicle batteries as well as EaglePicher’s valve regulated lead acid battery system (pictured).
The utility-scale finalists are Southern California Edison’s Tehachapi wind energy storage project, the Abengoa Solana solar generating plant and the 2500 R Midtown project in Sacramento, Calif., that demonstrates how solar, storage and smart devices can work in concert to benefit customers and utilities.
In the 2500 R Midtown project, Sunverge Energy installed its system at 34 net-zero homes to provide real-time monitoring and control of distributed energy, fleet management for virtual power plant operations and web application integration and delivery.
The mobility finalists are SEPTA Energy’s optimization project in Philadelphia, Benecia City Hall solar fast charger with storage and Powertree’s San Francisco One, which delivers an integrated distributed system to tenants, multi-unit owners, EV drivers and the local utility California ISO.
Innovation Award project submissions were subject to a rigorous process that considered key industry priorities, including customer value proposition, project impact, services supplied to the grid, financing model, ownership model, technology, and safety.
This year, public votes via Twitter for the ESNA Innovation Award will account for 50 percent of the final result. Awards will be presented October 1.
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Integrating sustainability into your ERM framework
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement