BMW, Green Charge Networks Among Energy Storage Innovation Finalists
Energy Storage North America selected nine projects across three categories—utility-scale, customer-sited and mobility. The customer-sited category includes a distributed energy storage project developed by Green Charge Networks and Samsung. The so-called GreenStations have been deployed in New York City and California, including one municipal power authority.
The customer-sited category also includes a lithium ion battery project powered by BMW and UCSD that demonstrates the first application of large scale energy storage using repurposed electric vehicle batteries as well as EaglePicher’s valve regulated lead acid battery system (pictured).
The utility-scale finalists are Southern California Edison’s Tehachapi wind energy storage project, the Abengoa Solana solar generating plant and the 2500 R Midtown project in Sacramento, Calif., that demonstrates how solar, storage and smart devices can work in concert to benefit customers and utilities.
In the 2500 R Midtown project, Sunverge Energy installed its system at 34 net-zero homes to provide real-time monitoring and control of distributed energy, fleet management for virtual power plant operations and web application integration and delivery.
The mobility finalists are SEPTA Energy’s optimization project in Philadelphia, Benecia City Hall solar fast charger with storage and Powertree’s San Francisco One, which delivers an integrated distributed system to tenants, multi-unit owners, EV drivers and the local utility California ISO.
Innovation Award project submissions were subject to a rigorous process that considered key industry priorities, including customer value proposition, project impact, services supplied to the grid, financing model, ownership model, technology, and safety.
This year, public votes via Twitter for the ESNA Innovation Award will account for 50 percent of the final result. Awards will be presented October 1.
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- 2013-2014 Winter Polar Vortex
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- The Future of Operational Risk Management: The Oil & Gas and Chemicals Approach
- Gartner Magic Quadrant
- Connected Buildings, Connected People: A Look to the Future
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies