Bosch Equips Energy Smart Housing Community in Texas
Bosch has partnered with Taurus Investment Holdings, a Boston-based real estate development company, to equip a master-planned community outside Austin, Texas, with efficient geothermal heat pumps, hot water systems and Energy Star rated kitchen appliances.
The new community, called Whisper Valley, will eventually include 7,500 net zero ready single and multi-family homes and apartments, plus more than 2 million square feet of retail and office space across 2,062 acres. All structures will be geothermal and solar equipped, capable of achieving the net zero energy standard adopted by the City of Austin’s Municipal Building Code for all new construction homes.
Bosch, along with manufacturing partners BASF, Rehau, Lighting Science Group and Aten Solar, are part of Taurus’ EcoSmart Solution (ESS) subsidiary, which develops and implements alternative energy structure programs in large-scale real estate projects. The ESS network includes technology, construction, communications and finance companies, among others.
Bosch geothermal heat pumps will be connected from each home to an underground heat-exchange-loop infrastructure system, consisting of geothermal boreholes that utilize the earth’s stored energy from the sun. As ground and water temperatures several feet below the earth’s surface remain constant throughout the year, geothermal energy is one of the most effective and cost-efficient renewable forms of energy. Bosch heat-pump hot water heaters will be installed in each home to supply whole house hot water.
The project is one of the ten biggest developments of its kind in the United States and will help the city of Austin meet its 2050 target to reduce CO2 emissions to zero.
Photo via Shutterstock.
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- Solar Request for Proposal (RFP) Guide
- There’s Money in the Trash
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds