Boston College Recognized for Energy Efficiency
Northeast Energy Efficiency Partnerships (NEEP) will recognize Boston College as a 2013 State Champion and Northeast Business Leader for Energy Efficiency at NEEP’s summit gathering in June.
Boston College is being honored for its successful efforts to achieve energy savings through comprehensive changes in major energy systems, continued improvements in energy performance through management level support and operational practices and demonstrated leadership to advance energy efficiency and promote its benefits within the University community. So far, the college’s efforts have resulted in annual energy savings of more than 4 million kWh, and cost savings of $650,000.
The multiple conservation measures implemented on campus include more than 1.4 million square feet in lighting upgrades since 2010, as well as improvements to walk-in cooler and freezer controls, which now give Dining Services the capability to receive alerts about any warming issues. This energy conservation measure will save the University more than 28,000 kWh, in addition to the saving that comes from turning off fans when they are not needed.
Campus lighting upgrades performed in 2012, which included motion sensing, daylight harvesting, and ballast replacements, are measures that have saved more than 800,000 kWh. The University also has taken advantage of incentives for new construction projects, which has resulted in another 700,000 kWh in energy savings, and implemented a submeter system that allows administrators to diagnose high energy use areas and establish baseline consumption for energy conservation measures.
In addition, some of the important, but less noticeable measures rolled out include the replacement of 700 residence refrigerators with new Energy Star models and the distribution of 7000 12.5 Watt LED bulbs to students.
Boston College will be honored with 11 other organizations at NEEP’s June summit.
- Facilities & Maintenance Management Best Practices
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Environmental Leader Technology Reviews
- Q4 2013 Sustainability Trends - The Logistics, Carbon and Business Data Book
- 2013 Insider Knowledge
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 5 Must-Have Utility Billing Alerts
- Managing Enterprise Assets and IT Assets in a Converged World
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- Harness the Value of Big Data to Build Smarter Infrastructures
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing
- Control the Balance of Power: The Future of Intelligent Energy Systems