Boston College Recognized for Energy Efficiency
Northeast Energy Efficiency Partnerships (NEEP) will recognize Boston College as a 2013 State Champion and Northeast Business Leader for Energy Efficiency at NEEP’s summit gathering in June.
Boston College is being honored for its successful efforts to achieve energy savings through comprehensive changes in major energy systems, continued improvements in energy performance through management level support and operational practices and demonstrated leadership to advance energy efficiency and promote its benefits within the University community. So far, the college’s efforts have resulted in annual energy savings of more than 4 million kWh, and cost savings of $650,000.
The multiple conservation measures implemented on campus include more than 1.4 million square feet in lighting upgrades since 2010, as well as improvements to walk-in cooler and freezer controls, which now give Dining Services the capability to receive alerts about any warming issues. This energy conservation measure will save the University more than 28,000 kWh, in addition to the saving that comes from turning off fans when they are not needed.
Campus lighting upgrades performed in 2012, which included motion sensing, daylight harvesting, and ballast replacements, are measures that have saved more than 800,000 kWh. The University also has taken advantage of incentives for new construction projects, which has resulted in another 700,000 kWh in energy savings, and implemented a submeter system that allows administrators to diagnose high energy use areas and establish baseline consumption for energy conservation measures.
In addition, some of the important, but less noticeable measures rolled out include the replacement of 700 residence refrigerators with new Energy Star models and the distribution of 7000 12.5 Watt LED bulbs to students.
Boston College will be honored with 11 other organizations at NEEP’s June summit.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Mobility From The Plant Floor To The Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy, and Productivity
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Integrating sustainability into your ERM framework
- Building Energy Intelligence
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management