Brazilian World Cup Arena Goes Solar
Odebrecht Energia and Neoenergia will implement a solar energy plant in Arena Pernambuco, one of the stadiums of the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil, located in São Lourenço da Mata.
Approximately $6.6 million will be invested in the solar energy plant that will generate 1 MW of installed capacity.
The implementation is forecasted to be operational by June 2013, in plenty of time for the World Cup in the summer of 2014.
The solar energy plant is part of the Strategic Research and Development Project “Technical and Commercial Arrangements for Inserting Solar Photovoltaic Generation into the Brazilian Energy Matrix,” launched in August 2011 by the National Electric Energy Agency (ANEEL).
The implementation and operation of the solar plant will not cost the stadium any upfront capital. The costs are being paid by the companies involved in the solar project. The energy generated will be directed to Arena Pernambuco. The Memorandum of Understanding for the plant implementation has already been signed by Arena Pernambuco and Odebrecht Energia, responsible for the solar plant after the conclusion of the implementation phase.
Other world arenas that have adopted solar energy are Qwest Field in Seattle, AT&T Park in San Francisco and Easy Credit Stadium, in Nuremberg, Germany.
The new, net-zero-energy Santa Clara Stadium under construction in Santa Clara, Calif., will feature three solar array-covered bridges, a solar canopy above the green roof on the suite tower portion of the stadium, and solar panels over the 49ers training center.
- LG Electronics: Enhancing customer Experience through Sustainability
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- ASSA ABLOY: Investing in Sustainability Opens the Door for Business Opportunity
- Under the Lens: Claiming Green
- Johnson & Johnson: Innovating in Business by Making Sustainability Personal