Brazilian World Cup Arena Goes Solar
Odebrecht Energia and Neoenergia will implement a solar energy plant in Arena Pernambuco, one of the stadiums of the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil, located in São Lourenço da Mata.
Approximately $6.6 million will be invested in the solar energy plant that will generate 1 MW of installed capacity.
The implementation is forecasted to be operational by June 2013, in plenty of time for the World Cup in the summer of 2014.
The solar energy plant is part of the Strategic Research and Development Project “Technical and Commercial Arrangements for Inserting Solar Photovoltaic Generation into the Brazilian Energy Matrix,” launched in August 2011 by the National Electric Energy Agency (ANEEL).
The implementation and operation of the solar plant will not cost the stadium any upfront capital. The costs are being paid by the companies involved in the solar project. The energy generated will be directed to Arena Pernambuco. The Memorandum of Understanding for the plant implementation has already been signed by Arena Pernambuco and Odebrecht Energia, responsible for the solar plant after the conclusion of the implementation phase.
Other world arenas that have adopted solar energy are Qwest Field in Seattle, AT&T Park in San Francisco and Easy Credit Stadium, in Nuremberg, Germany.
The new, net-zero-energy Santa Clara Stadium under construction in Santa Clara, Calif., will feature three solar array-covered bridges, a solar canopy above the green roof on the suite tower portion of the stadium, and solar panels over the 49ers training center.
- Top 10 Steps for a Successful EMIS Project
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management
- Operationalizing EHS Management: Bridge the Gap from Strategy to Execution
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers