Cable Operators Unveil ‘Energy 2020’
The Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers (SCTE) announced a multi-year campaign within its Energy Management Program - Energy 2020 – with the goals of reducing power consumption by 20 percent on a unit basis and reducing energy costs by 25 percent on a unit basis, all by 2020.
A spokesman for SCTE said that “units” is an “evolving” metric, but that units will probably be measured on a chassis basis or on a terabit-per-watt basis.
Energy 2020 is intended to create alignment on standards and best practices and to drive design and implementation of equipment with the cable industry.
Goals for the program include:
•Reduction of grid dependency by 10 percent;
•Optimization of technical facilities and datacenters footprint by 20 percent; and
•Establishment of vendor partnerships that will impact hardware development by the end of the decade.
The vendor and operator members of the SCTE Standards Program will work together with the Energy 2020 team to create standards that will be incorporated into future cable network equipment requirements.
The SCTE Standards Program is accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI).
- Integrated Building Optimization
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Building Energy Intelligence
- Mobility From The Plant Floor To The Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy, and Productivity
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management