California School District Hires Energy Consultant for Prop. 39 Upgrades
Willdan Energy Solutions was selected by the Ontario-Montclair School District (OMSD) in San Bernardino County, Calif., to serve as the energy consultant for its upcoming Proposition 39 Clean Energy Jobs Act program. Willdan will provide energy planning and auditing services to OMSD to select energy efficiency projects for all 32 of the OMSD’s school facilities.
Approved by the voters in California in November 2012, Proposition 39 closed a corporate tax loophole to generate billions in revenue over a five-year period. Half the money collected – an estimated $550 million annually – will go to the California Clean Energy Jobs Act, which is a program created to fund K-12 school and community college energy efficiency projects. The recently signed Senate Bill 73 spells out the details of how the grant funds will be allocated to California’s K-12 schools and community colleges, and it includes a number of requirements to ensure Proposition 39 funds deliver the expected energy efficiency and cost savings.
The energy planning and auditing activities at OMSD will build on several energy savings projects already implemented. For example, last year, through the Public Schools Energy Efficiency Program, the district implemented energy-savings lighting retrofits that currently save nearly $230,000 annually. These retrofits, which were delivered at no cost to the district, were funded by California ratepayers through a contract Willdan implemented on behalf of Southern California Edison.
The energy projects to be identified and selected for the Clean Energy Jobs Act will be funded primarily by the more than $5 million the district anticipates receiving under Proposition 39 over the next five years. Projects under consideration may include the installation of double-paned windows or window coverings, and exterior lighting upgrades, as well as larger and more comprehensive projects to replace older, inefficient heating and air systems. Also, these projects could address building management systems installations to help control facility energy usage.
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Solar Request for Proposal (RFP) Guide
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Case Study: Dassault Falcon Jet Taps Intelligent LED Lighting Solutions
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- Verdantix Green Quadrant for EHS Software
- How to Thrive in Today's EHS Landscape
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions