California School District Hires Energy Consultant for Prop. 39 Upgrades
Willdan Energy Solutions was selected by the Ontario-Montclair School District (OMSD) in San Bernardino County, Calif., to serve as the energy consultant for its upcoming Proposition 39 Clean Energy Jobs Act program. Willdan will provide energy planning and auditing services to OMSD to select energy efficiency projects for all 32 of the OMSD’s school facilities.
Approved by the voters in California in November 2012, Proposition 39 closed a corporate tax loophole to generate billions in revenue over a five-year period. Half the money collected – an estimated $550 million annually – will go to the California Clean Energy Jobs Act, which is a program created to fund K-12 school and community college energy efficiency projects. The recently signed Senate Bill 73 spells out the details of how the grant funds will be allocated to California’s K-12 schools and community colleges, and it includes a number of requirements to ensure Proposition 39 funds deliver the expected energy efficiency and cost savings.
The energy planning and auditing activities at OMSD will build on several energy savings projects already implemented. For example, last year, through the Public Schools Energy Efficiency Program, the district implemented energy-savings lighting retrofits that currently save nearly $230,000 annually. These retrofits, which were delivered at no cost to the district, were funded by California ratepayers through a contract Willdan implemented on behalf of Southern California Edison.
The energy projects to be identified and selected for the Clean Energy Jobs Act will be funded primarily by the more than $5 million the district anticipates receiving under Proposition 39 over the next five years. Projects under consideration may include the installation of double-paned windows or window coverings, and exterior lighting upgrades, as well as larger and more comprehensive projects to replace older, inefficient heating and air systems. Also, these projects could address building management systems installations to help control facility energy usage.
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Integrating sustainability into your ERM framework
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement