California State Lottery Achieves Net Zero with CALMAC
CALMAC Manufacturing has installed its IceBank thermal energy storage tanks at the new California State Lottery headquarters in Sacramento, Calif. The old, inefficient building was replaced by a new building, which now consists of retail, exhibition and office space plus a net-zero multi-purpose pavilion. It is designed to not only be energy efficient, but to meet the requirements for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Gold certification.
Sustainable features of this new facility include a photovoltaic system, thermal energy storage, daylight harvesting, window glazing, radiant floor and green roof areas.
Interface Engineering worked with CALMAC and Trane to upgrade the central utility plant, which produces cold water to feed all the buildings on the campus. The thermal energy system and photovoltaic (PV) solar panels are also sized to classify the pavilion as a net zero energy building. This means the pavilion uses no more energy than is provided by its on-site renewable energy sources. At night, ice is made using energy from the grid. During the day, PV produces energy, which offsets the night-time energy. Excess energy is utilized to offset energy consumption in the rest of the building.
This use of distributed energy storage and solar energy permits the state to rent out the conference spaces in the pavilion to generate revenue while its use of day-time energy costs nothing.
- Evaluation Guide: Four Steps to a Successful Lighting Evaluation
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- The Guru’s Guide: Implementing Environmental ERP Systems
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- The Impact of a Changing Workforce on Facilities Management
- Expert Q and A: Tips for Automating your Energy Data
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room