California State Lottery Achieves Net Zero with CALMAC
CALMAC Manufacturing has installed its IceBank thermal energy storage tanks at the new California State Lottery headquarters in Sacramento, Calif. The old, inefficient building was replaced by a new building, which now consists of retail, exhibition and office space plus a net-zero multi-purpose pavilion. It is designed to not only be energy efficient, but to meet the requirements for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Gold certification.
Sustainable features of this new facility include a photovoltaic system, thermal energy storage, daylight harvesting, window glazing, radiant floor and green roof areas.
Interface Engineering worked with CALMAC and Trane to upgrade the central utility plant, which produces cold water to feed all the buildings on the campus. The thermal energy system and photovoltaic (PV) solar panels are also sized to classify the pavilion as a net zero energy building. This means the pavilion uses no more energy than is provided by its on-site renewable energy sources. At night, ice is made using energy from the grid. During the day, PV produces energy, which offsets the night-time energy. Excess energy is utilized to offset energy consumption in the rest of the building.
This use of distributed energy storage and solar energy permits the state to rent out the conference spaces in the pavilion to generate revenue while its use of day-time energy costs nothing.
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- The Guru’s Guide: Implementing Environmental ERP Systems
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement