Caribbean Mobile Network Realizes 60% Site Energy Savings
Viva-Trilogy Dominicana, a Dominican Republic mobile network, completed a backup power pilot program using a General Electric Durathon battery and a remote monitoring and diagnostic system from OmniMetrix.
The pilot resulted in an 88 percent reduction in backup power costs and diesel fuel expenses as well as a 60 percent decrease in site energy costs.
To deal with frequent power outages, usually lasting from four to eight hours at a time, Viva-Trilogy uses diesel generators to provide power to its telecommunication towers. But the four-month pilot demonstrated the value of pairing a remote monitoring and diagnostic system with a battery. The GE Durathon Battery and OmniMetrix RMD system were installed at a base transceiver station in a part of the Dominican Republic known for its frequent power outages. During these outages, the battery was able to supplement electricity produced by a diesel generator to power the site. The OmniMetrix RMD system provided real-time data on both the battery and the grid’s overall performance.
A group of cable operators is testing a new device as a backup power solution, and a company that already caters to the telecommunications industry is Ballard Power Systems, which offers fuel cell systems for telecom backup power.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Building Energy Intelligence
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management