Caribbean Mobile Network Realizes 60% Site Energy Savings
Viva-Trilogy Dominicana, a Dominican Republic mobile network, completed a backup power pilot program using a General Electric Durathon battery and a remote monitoring and diagnostic system from OmniMetrix.
The pilot resulted in an 88 percent reduction in backup power costs and diesel fuel expenses as well as a 60 percent decrease in site energy costs.
To deal with frequent power outages, usually lasting from four to eight hours at a time, Viva-Trilogy uses diesel generators to provide power to its telecommunication towers. But the four-month pilot demonstrated the value of pairing a remote monitoring and diagnostic system with a battery. The GE Durathon Battery and OmniMetrix RMD system were installed at a base transceiver station in a part of the Dominican Republic known for its frequent power outages. During these outages, the battery was able to supplement electricity produced by a diesel generator to power the site. The OmniMetrix RMD system provided real-time data on both the battery and the grid’s overall performance.
A group of cable operators is testing a new device as a backup power solution, and a company that already caters to the telecommunications industry is Ballard Power Systems, which offers fuel cell systems for telecom backup power.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- The Future of Operational Risk Management: The Oil & Gas and Chemicals Approach
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Energy Financing Report
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Combined Heat and Power
- 2013-2014 Winter Polar Vortex
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management