Caribbean Mobile Network Realizes 60% Site Energy Savings
Viva-Trilogy Dominicana, a Dominican Republic mobile network, completed a backup power pilot program using a General Electric Durathon battery and a remote monitoring and diagnostic system from OmniMetrix.
The pilot resulted in an 88 percent reduction in backup power costs and diesel fuel expenses as well as a 60 percent decrease in site energy costs.
To deal with frequent power outages, usually lasting from four to eight hours at a time, Viva-Trilogy uses diesel generators to provide power to its telecommunication towers. But the four-month pilot demonstrated the value of pairing a remote monitoring and diagnostic system with a battery. The GE Durathon Battery and OmniMetrix RMD system were installed at a base transceiver station in a part of the Dominican Republic known for its frequent power outages. During these outages, the battery was able to supplement electricity produced by a diesel generator to power the site. The OmniMetrix RMD system provided real-time data on both the battery and the grid’s overall performance.
A group of cable operators is testing a new device as a backup power solution, and a company that already caters to the telecommunications industry is Ballard Power Systems, which offers fuel cell systems for telecom backup power.
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Cox Enterprises Cuts Energy Costs Up to 10-15% in Certain Markets
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- Evaluation Guide: Four Steps to a Successful Lighting Evaluation
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Harness the Value of Big Data to Build Smarter Infrastructures
- Complex Manufacturing Assets Require Integrated Management
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing