Casino Installs Combined Heat and Power
Later this year, the new Horseshoe Casino in Baltimore, Md., will open its doors, and a significant portion of the $442 million development’s energy, heating and cooling needs will be provided by a combined heat, power and cooling (CHP) trigeneration system.
The Rolls-Royce Power Systems company MTU Onsite Energy will provide Horseshoe Baltimore with the Series 4000 CHP system along with a complementary diesel-powered Series 1600 emergency backup generator set.
The end-to-end power system marks the company’s first combined sale of a diesel generator and gas-powered Series 4000 CHP in the United States. The equipment is being sourced and installed by Curtis Engine & Equipment, MTU Onsite Energy‘s local Baltimore-area dealer.
Combined heating, power and cooling trigeneration systems produce useful electricity, heat and cooling from a single energy source. In this case an MTU Onsite Energy Series 4000 engine uses captured heat from the engine’s jacket water and exhaust systems that would normally be wasted. The CHP system produces 1,149 kW of electricity and 4,137,000 Btu’s of heat per hour.
Every year, more energy is lost as wasted heat in power generation in the US than the total annual energy use of Japan. But the use of combined heat and power technology, can cut wasted energy nearly in half, according to the Department of Energy, which has posted the “Top 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Combined Heat and Power.”
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- There’s Money in the Trash
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards